Tuesday, March 23, 2010

San Dimas Stage Race: GC and other thoughts

I ended up 9th in the GC, which was infuriatingly one place out of upgrade points. Ah well, I'll get some more later. I got either 4 or 6 upgrade points for getting 2nd in the road race, depending on if it's officially counted as a RR or circuit race (it was shorter than the minimum qualifying distance for a RR, see previous rant). With the 8 points that I got at Madera, this brings me up to 12 or 14 out of the minimum 25 required for the Cat 2 upgrade, so I'm about halfway there either way.

It's been frustrating being beat by a pro triathlete at each of two stage races two weekends in a row. They need to hurry up and get their upgrades so that I can get mine. If they hadn't been there, I'd have an extra 2 points from each weekend!

In other news, I learned to ride rollers on Saturday, since I needed to warm up for the race somehow and we hadn't brought a trainer. It turns out that as long as I relax and don't freak out, and keep my speed up a bit, then I'm actually quite good at them. I'd noticed previously that riding on PowerCranks (on my commuter bike) seems to have improved my pedaling form significantly, so that I have less wasted lateral energy, and I think that that helped stabilize me on the rollers. I still have to figure out how to start and stop without help, but for now I can keep using the car to lean on.

In more other news, Jose won the green jersey in the Cat 2 field! He was conspiring to win some of the hot spot sprints in the RR and the Crit and got 2 firsts and 2 thirds, for 26 seconds of bonus time and 40 sprint points, which was just enough to win the green (sprinter's) jersey. The bonus time also moved him up to 9th in the GC, which with the large field size, earned him 7 upgrade points.

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff! Wish I had been there. Actually, I wish you had been on my wheel at Snelling :) You'd have won it I'm pretty sure :)

    ReplyDelete