Monday, March 8, 2010

Cherry Pie Criterium 2/7/2010

Category: W4
Field Size: ~40
Length: 30 minutes
Teammates: Kira, Nancy, Heather
Place: 4th

The Cherry Pie crit course was about a mile long and mostly flat, except for a short uphill to the start/finish followed by a u-turn back down the hill. Road quality was decent but not great, and the corners were nothing special. The race started out reasonably well and the pace wasn't too slow. I made a stupid attack about halfway through, not realizing just how much of the race was left, and wasted a lot of energy to not really get anywhere. I also learned that I needed more practice maneuvering through the pack, since I kept getting pushed to the back, and that I need to practice cornering. While I wasn't in a great position going into the last lap, unfortunately Kira was in a worse position, and she ended up crashing because of another rider's incompetence through the downhill turn. I saw her go over her handlebars, but realized that I couldn't afford to get distracted or I would crash too. For the rest of the lap, I managed to slowly work my way forward, despite being blocked in most of the time, and in the end I broke free to sprint after the leaders to snatch a 4th place finish. After the race, we had to wait for Kira to be brought up the hill to see how she was, and we found her with a broken collarbone. Heal fast Kira, we want you back! On a (very slightly) happier note, Kira's bike was unharmed, her body having taken the brunt of the fall, so when she heals up she can get right back on.

No comments:

Post a Comment