Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Merco Grand Prix Crit 3/6/2010

Category: W4
Field Size: 26
Length: 21 laps (0.8 each)
Teammates: Nancy
Places: 1st (me) and 9th (Nancy)

The course was nice and flat, with 6 corners and a chicane. The corners were nice and wide, so it wasn't too crowded on the course with our small field (unlike the Men's Pro/1/2 race with the full 125 racers). Road quality was pretty good, with some Botts dots everywhere and somewhat rougher pavement on the chicane. In our 21 laps, there were 6 primes, which was really nice because I think it helped keep the pace a little faster and safer, since every couple of laps we'd get people attacking to line up a nice sprint for the prime. I managed to win the 2nd and 6th primes, which I decided to go for mostly because I wasn't always comfortable in the back of the pack. There weren't any serious breakaway attempts, since the pack responded quickly to the few times that someone made a move. I actually spent a lot of time at or near the front of the pack in an attempt to really drive the pace, because I knew that if the pace was too slow, not only would it be more dangerous, but the pack would be too fresh at the end for me to make a move with Nancy. Unfortunately, no one wanted to pull the pack at a decent pace, even though we did speed up in the last 5 or so laps, so I ended up deciding to just push the pace on the front for the last two laps before making a final sprint on the home stretch to win by a length. I think I succeeded in stringing out the pack a bit, but unfortunately I was never in a good enough position next to Nancy that we could make a break for it instead, since I was already up front. I also knew that with a few laps to go, if I stayed near the front but the front riders got tired and stayed there (as often happens it seems), we'd get boxed in by the entire pack coming around us on both sides, destroying any chance we had to make a break for it. So I guess that I learned that I need to figure out how to anticipate the moves within the pack a little better so I can avoid getting stuck behind slower riders. I also need to work on being aware of where my teammate is and do a better job setting up for a move. Even with a less than ideal setup for the finish, Nancy did well in the field sprint by staying near the front, so all in all, I think it was a good race experience for both of us.


Also worth noting is that this race was the best organized one I've seen yet. There was an announcer who kept up a commentary on the current race, as well as sharing interesting tidbits about racers or things going on in the cycling world. The street corners were blocked off with trailers from semi trucks, making it absolutely impossible for a vehicle to get on the course by accident. The front straightaway had fencing on both sides, about a yard into the street, to make room for people watching as well as to better control when/where people could cross the course. In addition to being well set up, it was clearly well sponsored (mainly by the Merco Credit Union), since even the Cat 4 Women got cash prizes for the first 10 places. I won $50 for first place! I also got a trophy, in the form of an engraved and painted river rock, as well as a champion's jersey. The prizes for our primes weren't cash, but they were worth three boxes of energy bars (some combination of Clif, Luna, and Mojo). Winning felt a lot more special when I actually won something besides bragging rights, since the other races I've done haven't actually bothered with podiums or real prizes.

No comments:

Post a Comment